Thursday, July 3, 2008

Latest Update

Hi everyone,

Wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about all of you who are waiting to hear more news about the puppies. I have been so busy with animals this week that I am exhausted! Dave is out of town for his brother's wedding, so I have been caring for dogs at the property, newborns, hop-a-long Blackie, & Nika, my indoor doggie. This in addition to my other responsibilities! Then, to add to things, one of my cats who has had some allergy problems manifested by "acne" on her chin had one of her pimples abcess and started running a fever today! 103.5! So back to the vet for another animal! Too bad I don't get frequent flier miles!!!

Mom and puppies overall are doing well. I'm currently dealing with some diarrhea issues in the puppies, which is keeping me busy. I went over to my inlaws (who are also out of town for the wedding) to check on puppies yesterday to find that all the puppies were covered in their own stool - yuck! Apparently mom, who is been very devoted to the puppies, is lacking in one respect - she is not very fastidious about keeping the nestbox clean, which is very unusual! Closer inspection of the puppies and the bedding revealed that while several of the pups had diarrhea, one girl in particular had a very bad case (her stool was green with bile bc everything was going straight through her). She was limp and dehydrated, which could easily result in death for such a little one without quick intervention. I promtly gave her some Pedialyte for the time being, cleaned up all the puppies, loaded them into my car, then headed off to the vet's office & the grocery to pick up necessary supplies.

Having run my errands with everyone loaded up in my car, I finally made it back home. I set up Mom & puppies in my condo (which is getting to be quite a full house!), placed them in my kitchen and blocked access to the rest of the condo by setting up baby gates, which splits the condo into zones. . . the bedroom & office for cats, the kitchen for Rogue and the pups, & the living room / dining room for Blackie & Nika!

All set up, I started subcutaeous fluids on the dehydrated little girl (white collar) and gave her children's Immodium. I followed up with more fluids at intervals through the night. (Who needs sleep, right?) She has since perked up quite a bit and her diarrhea is somewhat improved, but she still requires close monitoring and fluids.

So what is causing this diarrhea bout? Often puppies can get diarrhea just from overeating, and Rogue certainly makes sure they get plenty to eat! There could be other causes, but I suspect that this is the reason for the diarrhea. However, I'll be keeping a close eye on them, continuing to offer Immodium as needed, and will follow up with the vet if this doesn't clear up shortly! Besides, I'm doing laundry like no other right now, trying to keep them in fresh clean bedding, so I sure hope this clears up soon, for both my sake and theirs (poor little puppy hinies :( )

So as you can see from another one of my lengthy blogs, I have had my hands full, and that hasn't left me much time to deal with some of the logistical things for all of you, such as following up on reservations and so on. I haven't forgotten you all, so hang in there! I will try to follow up with all of you individually by Monday evening. Til then, wish me luck!

No comments: