Monday, June 2, 2008

A whole lot more than a baby bump!

Wow! What a difference a week makes! I don't think there is any question that Rogue is pregnant now! Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera along with me this past weekend, so I don't have any pics to share.

So when I went out to the property on Saturday (my first time all week, since Dave takes care of the kennels on weekdays), I was amazed to see how fat Rogue looked. Then, then on Sunday, she looked even bigger! Dave says she looked bigger yet again today. It's crazy to think she can change that much overnight!

Considering that our experience tell us that pregnant dogs usually gain the most in their last week, I think that Rogue is likely to have quite a large litter. I would imagine that she will have at least 6-8 pups, if not more. We'll just have to see, but I've gotten pretty good at predicting the number of pups based on how soon the dams show, how they carry, and how big they get. Not an exact science... but you start to get good at reading the signs.

As for appetite, Rogue has begun eating well again. She still isn't eating much more than her normal portions, but this may be due in part to the fact that she is eating a high quality food with lots of animal source protein. And of course, she still doesn't pass up a biscuit!

Hopefully I can get a camera out to the property sometime during the week so I can let all of you see what she looks like. It's really entertaining to see!

No comments: