Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Puppies eyes are open and mom is stressed!

Hi everyone,

Thought you would all want to know that puppy eyes began opening up on Sunday night and with each day, the puppies start trying to explore further, presumably as their sight gets stronger.  This doesn't make mamma Rogue very happy, as puppies started crawling out of the crate, making her cry.  As a result, I've put up a bumper at the crate entrance to keep the puppies from tumbling out or making their escape!

While Rogue continues to be a great mom, she is also almost too good of a mom while not the best housekeeper.  She spends so much time with the puppies that they are perpetually feeding - and overfeeding in puppies often leads to diarrhea.  I first saw some diarrhea the other day.  I thought that maybe the liver treats I was giving Rogue were making the milk too rich, so I stopped giving them to her.  Nonetheless, despite stopping the treats and upon close observation, I am noticing that it is the puppies who are perpetually latched onto mom who pass loose stool.  Then, because puppies are getting more mobile, they crawl through the poop before Rogue or I (usually ME) can get it cleaned up.  Grrrr!!!!  I have had to resort to changing out the bedding multiple times a day and to bathing little puppies if they get dirty.  So gross!!!  I've been trying to get Rogue to spend more time out of the crate and away from the puppies to keep them from nursing quite so often, but if I stop loving on her, she rushes to try to get back to her little piggies!

Since I'm kind of running on empty right now, I've not had the chance to download more pictures or video, but I do have pics from the other day available through Picassa.  I will follow-up to this blog entry with a post that links to the new pictures.  Enjoy and I will work on getting new pictures of puppies with their eyes open!

'Til next time,
Barb

No comments: